Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tung....riiight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Sep 30, 2001.

1. I don't credit myself with too much knowledge when it comes to bass, but i like to think I know a little about everything....cept for these

Tung Basses, John Myung used them on Awake, so I'm guessing there's alot of Myung fans out there who wouldn't mind shedding some light for me

-Maurice

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Someone on the board has one (Y something (maybe?), sorry I'm terrible with names!). There have been some other treads on Tung basses, you'll just have to search for them.

Lee

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My understanding is that Tung basses were made by former Tobias employees who got sacked after the company was sold to Gibson. I don't think Tungs are in production anymore, though.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a friend who has a 5 string tung bass for sale. Anyone interested can email me and I'll give you his phone number.

moses@compuvision.net

Chuck

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Tungs haven't been in production since... I don't know, the mid-90's? Nicholas Tung was the name of he luthier. There were less than 100 of them made, IIRC. The common word is that they're really great instruments. I'm sure TB user Yvon agrees. :)

6. Yvon's Tung is beautiful. He also speaks very highly of how it sounds and plays.

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    actually I heard there were about 500 made.
    Myung's personall example is a custom order, I think he has two (fretted and fretless?).

as mentioned before, Yvon grabbed one for less than 2000$, he wasn't seen quite as often after the purchase :)

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I would like to know which is closer to the truth. This page says he made 100 of them: http://www.angelfire.com/ab2/bbarrett2/page101.html

I believe I saw that page some time ago and the number 100 got stuck in my mind... how it changed to "less than 100", I don't know.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if my guess is right and 500 is closer...will you buy me that bass? :D

btw, thats an extra cool one for really not much of mullah, but where the hell are the strap buttons?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That Tung was sold a while ago. AFAIK there were ~100 made. Yvon has a beauty.

11. ...and he's a nice guy too, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you PM'd him to ask him about his Tung.

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    WOW!
    A thread about Tung and I almost missed it!!

Yes, I love my Tung it's a great bass. Like Xavier said if you have any question E-mail or PM me.

I always heard that there is 100 Tung. You don't see them very often.

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    By the way, I will confess something....I almost feel bad about it...

I never heard any dream teather music in my life!

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    They are at the usual place. On my bass I have 3 strap button, that give you more option.
    The strap botton are the usual Dunlop but they are insert in the bass. Don't forget your strap!!

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    post a pic yvon, i LOVE that bass. please? :)

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I didn't want to post it again since I did it about 100 times....but since you ask! :)

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    here's another one....
    I should have other pics made I always post the same one...

18. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    :) :D Thanks!! that bass is amazingly beautiful.

19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    The ones you post always work for me.:)

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yvon...havy you poked yourself with that thing yet? It's so freakin POINTY looking...:)