Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tung/ Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yvon, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    All the guy here know I much I loved my Sadowsky. I still think it's the best bass in the world. But I have for about 1 month or 2 a Tung 5 string.
    Like the Sadowsky it's a "jazz bass", with a swamp ash and a maple fretboard.
    The Tung is a little bit more versatile, the bass have a mid control something the Sadowsky doesn't have. Also when you solo the bridge pick-up, you have a better sound with the Tung, you have a better Jaco sound, wich can be cool.
    The B on the Tung is almost perfect (the Sadowsky was 4)
    the spacing is very good.
    The only thing where the Tung could be better is in the volume output. The bartolini doesn't have lots of output. I plug the bass in the passive input of my AMP pre-amp.

Well...I post that because this place is really slow today! :)

and because all the band member tonight told me they prefer the Tung. :)

I was happy about that, I really love that bass too!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like that bass too;)

My Surine has a pretty low output with Bart preamp and pickups. My Clover with the same has a lower output than most passive basses I've played.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What preamps do those three basses have (aside from "Bartolini")?

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Three basses?

The Sadowsky had a Sadowsky preamp and the Tung is a Bartolini preamp.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some of my bart-preamp-equipped conklins had fairly low outputs. one of them i changed the preamp to the demeter onboard 3 band, the other i kept.

low output's not too big a deal - that's what the good lord made volume knobs for. :D

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yvon, sorry, i shouldve clarified. Three basses = Your Tung and Brads Surine/Clover. Sorry!

My experience differs from everyone elses...my two basses with Barts are LOUD! The Modulus more so than probably any bass i've ever heard.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    How is the demeter preamp John?

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Clover has a TCT-B 3 band preamp. The Surine?...I don't remember right off hand, Angus. I'd have to pull the control cavity cover off.