Tuning 5 string EADGC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by metalguy2, Feb 7, 2005.

1. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Would be really helpful for someone to tell me.. exactly how to get the 5th string to C. The guy at the music store sold me a .40 bass string for it. But it popped. Now i have a .45 on there, tuned and octave lower than how i actually want it. Please guys HEEELP!!!
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    .40 is what a G string usually is...

I'd say shoot for about .24?
  3. stiff

Feb 9, 2005
    Caldwell Texas
    i use 045-130 and have never had a problem with it
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    well, my guess was just made because the strings have like a .20 difference between the guages, essentially .4 for every half step...it makes sense to me at least, lol.
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Do not use a .040 for your C string- it will sound bad and you will probably snap it easily. All of my Bass Guitars are tuned EADGC, and I have found that a .030 is very pleasent for the high C. My TI's and DR's give a very nice and clear high but still ahve some body. A .025 is not terrible common, and sounds a bit on the thin side. Start with .030.

That is a standard BEADG gauge set- tuning every string up 3 steps will sound bad and give ridiculously high tension (wear them out really fast and be uncomfortable to play for most)
  6. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I know some people just buy a six string set and don't use the low B.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

That's ususally the best route. A .29 is a very common high B/C sting.