tuning a 4-string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by korngod_04, Feb 11, 2001.

1. korngod_04

Feb 11, 2001
    Can someone tell me how to tune my bass to BEAD (Low to high) and ADAD (Low to high) thanks
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    First of all you need to buy a 5string set of strings and toss out the little one or buy individual BEAD strings. String it up and tune to pitch. You may need to have the nut filed for the larger strings. And tuning that B string down to A will probably make it too floppy to play well.
  3. No you just have to buy a heavier string if you want to tune it down to A. I have my 4 stringer tuned BEAD, and (high to low) I have a .065, .085, .105, and .130 on there, and the tension is great. I filed the nut myself using a razor blade and a tiny file I had on my Leatherman multi tool thang. If you can't figure out how to do it yourself you could probably just take it to a guitar place and they'll do it for you. Of course that would cost you extra $$$$ :D
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    So have you tuned that .130 down to A, and how is the tension with it tuned to A?
  5. Tuned down to A it's actually a little floppy...if you're tuning down to A often I suggest you get a .135 or a .140, they'd be fine.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    korngod --

If you're a rookie I would strongly suggest having your nut filed by a pro at a reputable guitar shop. This is not an expensive job. Filing too low is REALLY easy if you don't know what you're doing, and will require replacing the nut to correct -- somewhat more expensive, obviously.

Play it safe.
  7. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i dont think id take the chance of doing any of that stuff myself, going to a guitar shop gets my vote, thats what id do.
  8. You don't need to file the nut... it comes naturally!

Just string it with lower strings (BEAD) and the strings will wear the nut down until they fit.

That's how I got my nut right for that stringing.
  9. Darn you all! Now we have another fieldy chump with a detuned bass. Geez, helpfull people these days.
  10. Hey man, I detune on a 4 string down to B, and there's no Korn influence in my music at all. Besides, I use a pick anyway. So don't start judging you turd!!!!

Nah, you know I'm just kidding :D
  11. What if I let the nut wear down then wanted to put a lighter gauge string back on for regular tuning? Would I be able to do that?
  12. Fleabass:

The chances are you won't be able to go back to normal stringing/tuning with the worn-away nut. It will have to be replaced.
  13. how much does that cost?
  14. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Actually, once the nut slots are worn wider, the only thing that MIGHT happen is the regular gauge (EADG) strings might rattle in the wide slots a bit. When it comes time, try it. No rattle = nut is FINE.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can always fill it up again with super glue and file it back to the original width if it's really too worn out...no need to buy a new nut.