1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning a 5-string to EADGC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaunceytoben, Apr 26, 2009.

1. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Hey all-

Ive been throwing around the idea of stringing up my 5-string Yamaha with a high C. I tried, but I really havent found much use for the B so figure I might as well extend my top range. Ive got a pack of 4-string Lo Riders laying around, so I would use those and order a lone high C from Conklin.

Am I going to run into any issues involving the nut. Obviously trying to stick an E string into a B string nut (without filing) may cause some issues, but what about the other way around? Will it be bad if the strings move a bit due to the extra space in the nut?

Im thinking it will be ok but would like some opinions before I buy that string.

thanks, Adam

2. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    I had no dramas at all doing it on my warwick, i'm sure youll be fine. Its a lot of fun.

3. I know what you meant-
    Putting smaller gauge strings into the original slots will probably be an issue, but try it and see. I did it once and had hardly any open string rattle, much to my surprise. Worst case is you make a new nut, not terribly difficult.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    My yamaha 5 is set up like that. Works great, not problems. Didn't have to make any setup changes at all.