1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning a 5 String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Delfender, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hi.

A bit of advice if you would be so kind. I recently bought a U.S.A. Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe V String. It's an amazing beast and it will take over from my other Jazz Bass Deluxe V String which is Mexican. Thing is though I was thinking of keeping my U.S. Bass on a B to G tuning and for the Mexican bass changing it to an E to C tuning. Has anyone out there ever tried this in the past? Will I have problems with the strings going over the nut? Will it be too loose? I hope someone can help me.

Del

2. You're tuning it up a fifth? Or installing a 'C' string as the first and standard E as the 5th? Can't see why you wouldn;t use a standard 4 string set and then a thinner C. Shouldn't be any nut or looseness issues at all.

3. Sorry BuffaloBass. I guess I didn't explain it too clearly. I am going to use a standard set of 4 strings and buying an extra high C. It was the problem of the smaller string through the nut I was worried about. The next problem is getting my hands on a single C string. It's not as easy as you'd think. I was in a couple of guitar stores and in the end they had to order me it. I thought they would have had a few in stock but that's not the case.
    I know I'm making a rod for my own back stringing one bass with a low B and the other with a high C but if I kept the Mexican bass with the same tuning and used it as back up it probably wouldn't get played. New world's to conquer.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. Are you in Billy Sheehan country?