Tuning a 5 to high C?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tsal, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have been thinking about putting on a set with high C instead of low B, would this cause any problems? Would I need to get the nut replaced/recut?
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You may have to tweak the action a bit, Tony. Otherwise, you shouldn't really encounter any problems. I've found that, despite the wider slots in the bridge/nut, the strings ride pretty good. I don't do an insane amount of high velocity slapping, OTOH, so YMMV. Going the other way, tho, can be problematic (i.e., high-C set to low-B set) if your bass is setup for the high-C widths.
  3. I changed around from low B to Hi C on my Tobias a couple of years ago, and have never turned back. You lose the low notes, but chords sound 10x better, and soloing really cuts through the music without additional volume. Wheather you choose to stay with it or not, I would suggest that you try it.

4. If the B string on the 5-string is wobbly and you replaced that B with an E, would the E string also be wobbly?
  5. It really depends on why you are getting the wobble. If the string isn't seating properly at the nut or at the bridge it might wobble and if the pickup is too close to the string or it might cause a wobble OR if the string is at the edge of the magnetic field as it vibrates in and out of the field it will sound wobbly.
  6. I did it as well with my Zon, its way better. More notes for the $$, and like ONEBASSPLAYER said, chords really chime through, not to mention the cool new set of harmonics to work with as well. I had to take my bass in for a little adjustment after I did the switch, because the 'B' slot in the nut was cut a little deep, causing my 'E' string to rattle at the first fret, he added some kind of filler to it, adjusted the intonation. Dont think I would ever go back to a low 'B'. Besides I use altered tunings and thick lower strings to if I need to I can detune to a low 'C' with no problem.

Here is a pic of one of my babies.
  7. Alexssandro,
    It has been my experience that when you have a low B that is a noodle, and you replace it with an E... you will have an E noodle. I played a couple of the older Spector 5-string basses which had that problem (a couple of R Basses as well).

My guess would be that the scale was too short... or they simply took a 4-string model, made the neck a little wider, and stuck an extra string on it.
  8. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    I use a high C instead of a low B on my five string. It's really difficult to get the low B to sound good from the fifth fret on up. I believe it's simple physics. 34" scale is just not long enough. (35" is probably better, but I'm guessing it's still not quite enough). So I tried the high C thing, and liked it so much I've stuck with it.