1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning a 5er up to 'drop' C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cliffburtonfan, May 19, 2012.

1. So I play in a band that plays in drop C (C-G-C-F-A) and I've made the decision to tune my 5 string up from B to 'drop' C.

Before folks start screaming 'JUST STAY IN STANDARD, YOU HAVE A C ON THE 1ST FRET OF THE B STRING', this is not an option, the riffs are all based around chugging on the low C string and are quite complex so the stretches would be silly.

Before other folks start telling me to tune my entire bass down 2 steps so the E is a C and B is a G, I'm not interested, I have no interest in having a low G string :)ninja:) that is 1. flappy as hell and 2. barely audible. Also, I play alot more runs and licks in the higher register than I would ever need a low G so havin one higher string suits me. I am tuning up because I want the tightness also.

So now that's out of the way I have a few questions:

1. String gauge: I've read in some places that I should take a six string set and throw the low B away. Others have said get a light gauge 5 string set. Others have said just go with a standard gauge 5 string set. I'm thinking stick with a 5 string set??

2. Set up: I know a bit about what I'm doing, I know how to adjust the truss rod and intonation, is this something you would recommend me doing myself, or am I looking at having a pro do it?

My bass is a Spector Euro 5lx by the way!

What do you guys think? Thanks for your help in advance!!

2. lscs

lscs

Dec 26, 2011
    I found that a .120 works well for a C. As for the set up, do one, give your bass few days to adjust under tenchin and check the setup agian. There shouldn't be any probs with that Euro, though, thems is rock solid.