1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning a 6 string bass like a stander guitar

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low-B-Mundy, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Low-B-Mundy

Low-B-Mundy

May 18, 2005
    I have a John Myung 6 string and I've been thinking of trying to re tune it like a stander guitar (E, B, G, D, A, E) I'm worried that there may be too much stress on the neck. Right now it's tuned ( C,G,D,A,E,B ) Has any one done this ? Is this a stupid idea ?

Just a brain fart

brian

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    You could always do BEADF#B for similar tuning, just tune the top two strings down a 1/2 step. Then the 5th fret would be EADGBE.

For that tuning with open strings, you would need to find a higher(thinner) string than your C string and ditch the low B string. You'll need a new setup, and maybe a new nut if you do that.

By the way, I think most people on TB list the tuning starting from the low note. Standard 6 string bass tuning is usually written as BEADGC.

3. if anything there would be less stress on the neck...

4. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    No there would definitely be more. I think it is doable.. i'd go for lighter gauge strings

5. +1 to lighter strings. But, yes - you can absolutely do it. I played a friend's bass set up that way.

6. Low-B-Mundy

Low-B-Mundy

May 18, 2005
    Thanks guys,

need4mospd I think I'll give the BEADF#B a shot I know that Brian Bromberg did this on his last CD Metal I saw him play at Bass Night at last years NAMM

7. I tune mine BEADGB, FWIW. IOW just like a guitar, but with the high E lopped off and a low B added. For me personally, that makes more sense than BEADF#B.