Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning a 6 string e to e

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bohort, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Bohort

Bohort

Jun 20, 2005
    CA
    Hi my first post

I just got a Brice prestige z 6 string, and since I can not seem to keep any thing simple, I want to tune it to standard guitar tuning (e to e).
    Will I be able to set my action low and properly intonate this thing with out constantly popping strings? I am a set up newbie so any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Superbassman2000 has one I sold him set up that way.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You'll need different strings for that - E to F. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT TRY TO TUNE UP THE B-C SET!!! The strings will break and the neck might be damaged, or the bridge or tuning keys ripped out of their place from the extreme pull. 6-ers with normal tuning already have around 120 kg (~264 lbs) strain on the neck...

4. Bohort

Bohort

Jun 20, 2005
    CA
    Thanks very much for your help.
    Could anyone recommend a string set for me?
    I prefer nickel wound strings but have no idea who makes a good e-f set.
    If it helps I plan on doing no slap with this set up, but some solo & tapping with very low action…
    Should I repost this in the strings section?
    Again thanks!

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Might help. F strings are rare. Though with the number of 7 and 7+-string basses increasing, they should be a bit easier to get. Look around on Strings, maybe even do a search

Get either:
    - a 6-string set plus a high F, discard the B
    - if you can find one, a 5-string E-C set plus a high F
    - or each of the strings individually