Tuning a 6 to F#-B-E-A-D-G

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by low_end_brad, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I did some searching before I posted this but didn't have much like. Any advice on the really LOW tunings in terms of setup, string gauge, etc? A pointer to an existing thread would be much appreciated!

I will be playing mostly the top 5 strings but we use some really low "rumble" effects at times for which the low tunings can be much fun.

2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think your main concern would be a cabinet that could handle those types of frequencies.

I'm sure you could get different string gauges from www.juststrings.com . You'd also have to file your nut so that the strings fit.

For the actual setups, talk to the ERB guys here who play 7's and up...
  3. Let's start by finding out what scale length you are playing. I play a 34" 5'er (a MusicMan Stingray) down at G# (D# G# C# F#), but that's realistically as far as I can go down. If you want any further I'd suggest a 35" or a 36" inch scale to keep things sorta tight. As for gauges I'd run a custom set: .040 .060 .080 .100 .120 .135. I'd think that would do you well.

GOod luck!
  4. So that's pretty close to a 5 string medium weight set with a heavy string for the F#?

I haven't bought a bass for this yet, but was certainly thinking of 35"... I currently play a Carvin LB75.

I've also had a GAS over the 39" scale basses at Knuckle Guitar Works, but never have gotten up to Seattle to try one out.
  5. daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    I have an Eshenbaugh 6 that I tune that way with the following gauges: .40 .60 .80 .100 .120 .165 And it is awesome.....I use a henry 8x8 and people stare slack jawed at the massive low end punch........go for it.....You'll love the low F#...........
  6. Actually that would be a light 5 set with an extra, big low B string to double as your F#. Should play pretty well.

A 39" scale: holy man, I couldn't play that if I tried! To be honest I don't really care for 36"s, 35"s are OK, but I really only like to play 34"s - prefer the tension and much less fatiguing.

Wow, a .165 - that's a big mf'er. Thing must be as big as an electrical cable. I'm kind of surprised someone makes a bridge that accommodates such a monster, but I don't know too much about ERBs!
  7. Hey, it looks like Conklin sells lots of ERB sets and singles so you may want to check them out. They have a .150 & .165 intended to work as a low F#, which to me sounds crazy heavy but hey, what do I know! Their overall sets seem to run light top / heavy bottom - there's their 5 set is .035, .055, .080, .110, .135. compared to DR .045, .065, .085, .105, .125, both for standard 5 string tuning. I'd be weary of all that tension on the low side if your neck that isn't designed for it. I'd start light and go heavier if necessary (that's me) but the guys at Conklin probably know something about it so you can give them a shot!

Good luck!
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    WOW..............that's seriously low!!:help:
  9. That's good to know, and just the effect I was hoping for :) What brand of strings and where do you get them?

10. Yeah, I'm not sure I could handle a 39" scale either, but it would be fun to try. I grew up playing pipe organ, where bass meant BASS, and the E of a 4 string was halfway up the pedalboard = TENOR :) So I've been questing for the true bass (CCCC=16Hz) ever since.
  11. daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    I've been using SIT ......they are the kings of ERB strings....
    I would recommend Brian from www.thelowend.net He has the hook up for all the ERB strings with SIT, and he always helps out even if you didn't buy your bass from him....
    I use them for my 7 with a plain steel high F.....
  12. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I just picked up my "Franken-Bass" today. I had Conklin strings put on, and tuned to F#,B,E and A. We tried the store's Ampeg cabinets, and only the 18" had discernable F# lower pitches. I'm now on the search for a rig that can produce those notes. I do have a Fitzmaurice Tuba24 awaiting the availability of an Eminence HL10C woofer, and that is supposed to do the trick. We'll see..... MY