Tuning a B up instead of an E down?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CopperheadLXXIX, Mar 26, 2004.

1. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I'd say about a fourth or a third of the music I play regularly I need to tune down to D or even C#. Right now I only have one main bass, my FBB, but am considering getting a second one just for the purpose of not having to constantly tune my 8 string back and forth between standard tuning and dropped D tuning. Anyway, my question is would it be feasible to get a thin gauge B string and tune it UP to D or C# rather than the usual tuning an E down and leaving the string somewhat floppy. I imagine a B tuned up would have much more clarity than a dropped E. Has anybody tried this? Thoughts? Comments?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I used to play a MIA Fender five string tuned DEADG with no problems.
    I also had a Lakland 55-01 that I alternated between DEADG and CEADG as required, also with no problems.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Once I tightened a B string up to E to see if it would work. It was very tight but would probably cause neck issues if left that way.
  4. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I would imagine so...maybe I should have also mentioned that the bass would most likely be a short (30") scale, so the tension would be considerably less than on a long scale. Also, I would never be tuning it higher than D. Maybe I could get one of those cheap SX short scale P-basses to try it on...they don't cost much more than a lot of the more expensive string sets!
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I run a 5 string set on my 4 string bass and tune it to E with no problem. Yea, its a little tighter than normal but very minimal. If your just tuning up to D you should have no problem.