1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning a B up instead of an E down?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CopperheadLXXIX, Mar 26, 2004.

1. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I'd say about a fourth or a third of the music I play regularly I need to tune down to D or even C#. Right now I only have one main bass, my FBB, but am considering getting a second one just for the purpose of not having to constantly tune my 8 string back and forth between standard tuning and dropped D tuning. Anyway, my question is would it be feasible to get a thin gauge B string and tune it UP to D or C# rather than the usual tuning an E down and leaving the string somewhat floppy. I imagine a B tuned up would have much more clarity than a dropped E. Has anybody tried this? Thoughts? Comments?

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Setup.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I used to play a MIA Fender five string tuned DEADG with no problems.
    I also had a Lakland 55-01 that I alternated between DEADG and CEADG as required, also with no problems.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Once I tightened a B string up to E to see if it would work. It was very tight but would probably cause neck issues if left that way.

5. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I would imagine so...maybe I should have also mentioned that the bass would most likely be a short (30") scale, so the tension would be considerably less than on a long scale. Also, I would never be tuning it higher than D. Maybe I could get one of those cheap SX short scale P-basses to try it on...they don't cost much more than a lot of the more expensive string sets!

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I run a 5 string set on my 4 string bass and tune it to E with no problem. Yea, its a little tighter than normal but very minimal. If your just tuning up to D you should have no problem.
    Kelly