1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning a Bag End S15 for a 15PR400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurosawa, May 23, 2012.

1. I got out my tape measure this afternoon and my Cobalt's tiny trunk filled me with gloom. The opening is tiny. Any decent sized cab would have to go into the trunk through the back seat, and the max height I can pass through that aperture is optimistically 14".

Then I found a Bag End S15 knockoff and a 15-watt bulb began to dully glow over my dense head. Maybe I could load 2 of these with the Faital Pro 15PR400? They'd easily fit through the trunk opening.

But I'm still left wondering if they'd sound and work OK, and whether I could tune the cabs properly for the speaker by cutting the port tubing (the cabs come with a hole dead center in the back with a 4" dia pipe that's 3" long stuffed in the hole).

2. Bag End S15 do not come with a port tube

3. The knockoff does.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a bad knockoff then...

Why not just get the real thing and use them in stock form? They are excellent cabs. I gig a pair all the time.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Is the clone smaller than a Bag End S-15? Mine run 18" x 18" x 15"...one inch greater than your 14" threshold.

6. then it's not a knock off, it's just a small 15" cab and you aren't looking for how to retune an S15 ;)

Maybe post all it's dimensions so the folks that know cabs can help? The S15 is 18.5"h x 18.5"w x 15.5"d

7. The S15-D and S15-DX are both rear ported with a single 4" port in the middle of the back. With internal dimensions of 17x17x14 to match the external dimensions of the 15D with .75" ply, the port would have to be 9.8" long for the 15PR400 to be tuned to 50hz with an f3 of 60.6hz, 11" for 48hz and an f3 of 61hz. The 4" port will make a lot of noise, though. If you can add another inch of height you can use a 1" vent 17" long and eliminate the chuff and lower the freq before xmax a couple of hertz.

8. If you wanted something a little mellower in the upper mids with better low end handling for a 5-string, you could substitute the 15FH500. Really if you look at the response graphs and specs I don't know why the FH500 isn't used over the PR400 in the first place.

9. Dunno. Maybe folks want the extra 2dB?

No, it's not a Bag knockoff. It's tuned for 55Hz. And duh, it's too freakin' big for my car.

So is the 12.

This has to mark an all-time low in cab choice criteria.

It looks like I can fit the 13.5" thick Ashdown VS212 or VS115 in the trunk. Affordable.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Can you put cab(s) in the front or back seat instead of the trunk?

My friend has a Cobalt and he was trying to convince me to buy one. I didn't really like it in the first place, but after seeing his trunk it definitely wasn't happening.