Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning a bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zappabass, May 18, 2004.

1. zappabass

zappabass

Mar 31, 2004
    visalia
    i would like to build a 210 combo amp and need to know the best way to go about it. should the head be inside where the speakers are or disconnected with a seperate little box built on top of the cab. Also, should I try ports or have it sealed? Does anyone know any computer software or what goes into tuning bass cabs?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    First step...go to your nearest music shop and look at the comercially built bass combos.

You'll want to have the amp separate from the cabinet, not inside the loudspeaker enclosure.

You can use www.linearteam.dk to download WinISD and work on your box design. Ported vs. unported depends on the drivers that you've chosen.

Have fun!!!

3. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    From experience when it comes to bass cabs I prefer them. They give you better volume. Sealed will most likely give you a tighter low end but not as much volume as the ported.

4. Generally speaking, for the same speaker the ported box will be flat to a lower frequency than a sealed box, but the rolloff is twice as steep with a vented box. Also, if your speaker has fs much higher than the lowest fundamental of your bass you run the risk of the uncontrolled woofer in your vented cabinet start to flop around too much, which can ruin the driver.

cheers mate! BT