Tuning a bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by trust24, Jan 28, 2009.

1. trust24

trust24

Nov 4, 2008
    When i tune my bass to a tuner the e and a strings seem to be way to loose but they are in tune. anyone got any advice

2. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    the E string is loose thats the way its supposed to be and if you think thats bad just wait untill you start drop tuning

if you want to stiffen up the strings buy a long scale bass these tend to have more string tension and also try heavier strings apart from that there's nothing much you can do bass strings are slack

3. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    If they are in tune they are in tune. You could try to get some heavier gauge strings, usually they are tighter to play. Other than this, nothing really can be done, unless you tune some notes up and adapt the songs, which I think would be very stupid.

4. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I agree with Dreadheadbass. It's probably the strings. What kind of bass? Most basses are 34" scale (nut to bridge is roughly 34 inches - nut to 12th fret is pretty much 17 inches). If yours is too, a good string to start with is a set of GHS Boomers, 45-65-85-105. They were the first string I bought and they stand up well in retrospect. What I mostly use now are Lakland Joe Osborn flats, but mine are a weird blend of gauges - not an off-the-shelf item.

Try some basses at a shop to see if it's just your bass or if it's that you just have to acclimatize yourself to what a bass feels like.

You could also start plucking closer to the bridge. That will bring out more mids in your tone (a good thing for being able to hear yourself and your note in an ensemble) and it will increase the tension you feel on the string.

Good luck.

KO

5. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    It should only be a problem is the strings are buzzing on the frets.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Your strings lack stiffness, or you have a short scale bass. I suggest DR Lo-Riders. They have a hex-core and a great stiff feel.

/advert

:D

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021