1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning a BEADG 5er to BF#BEG#

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Oct 2, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Will tuning 'up' my Eadg strings on a 5 string add too much tension on my neck? I'm trying to match a 6 string guitar tuned to drop B.

I know I could go BF#BEA, but I'd like to match exact.

I would prefer this option, but I could also tune a 4 string way down to drop B.

What modifications if any would I need for both options. Has anyone ever heard of tuning up a 5 string?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Dude you are suffering from guitar envy ... You can play all of your bands songs with a BEADG tuning ... any other tuning will make scales and octaves cumbersome. Guitar players do all of the wacky tunings to help them play chords. Bass players play single notes.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Save yourself the hassle and just get a Fender bass VI or a warmoth clone.

If you slot the nut and use the right gauge strings I don't think it would cause any long term problems but I have been wrong before.

I also agree with Ric5 though, this doesn't seem very practical or helpful, but it is your style not mine.

4. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Oct 2, 2010
    Northern Utah
    If I was just playing root notes, I could understand the logic. But I want to be able to match runs and complex fingerings. I just want to know I won't damaging my bass by tuning up too much.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this is an old argument, the "tune like the dropped guitar player" vs. "play a regular 5-string" people.

for most metal guys, matching the guitar tunings just makes more sense. (this is also why 5 and 6 string basses can be weird for those styles, it's harder to get them into the same tunings as the guitar players, who are often somewhere below E but above B.)

anyway, you aren't gonna hurt anything, as long as the neck is still adjusted to be nice and straight. it might feel a little unbalanced though, with the B feeling more limp than the other strings.

you could get a super-light 5-string set, then swap in a regular-sized B, so the tension evened out more.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021