Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning ADGC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by floydbass, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Will I need a new Nut? How much of a setup if required to get this to work. I am doing some Bela Fleck stuff for the drum line at my school and I need an ADGC bass.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Get a 5 string set, and put the B, E, A and D on it. Tune the B down to A, the E down to D, the A down to G, and the D down to C. Or you could just find a 5 string and tune it down a whole step to ADADG.

3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Is that tuning up or down?

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He's talking about tuning down, don't listen to him :p (Kidding)..

But, you may or may not need a new nut. Just get one of those tenor string sets and try em' on . If they fit and work fine, you've got yourself a tenor bass.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Dude... No.

The original post was to talk about getting a tenor bass.. ADGC instead of EADG... Having strings that low is horribly pointless, especially when playing Flecktones material.

6. Im tuning Up. Ill proboly just change my five string to EADGC.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Tenor, my bad. For some band's it's not pointless.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Very valid point you have there. I just can't understand it personally, still I'm sorry for saying it was pointless.

9. I recently turned my 4 string bass into a tenor bass. Basically so I could play all that cool Wooten stuff in the right tuning :bassist:

I just bought a 6 string bass set (where do you find high C 5-string sets anyways? I coudn't find any :confused: ) and strung up my 4 string with the top 4 from the 6-string set, ADGC. The strings are a little loose in the nut but it doesn't buzz or seem to affect tone in any way.

As for setup, I just raised the action a bit to get rid of fret buzz, since the strings are lighter gauge. I guess ideally you might want a new nut but it seems fine as is.

It's actually a lot cooler than I expected it to be. Sounds great too and now I can finally play stuff like "A Show of hands" and "More Love" and such in the right tuning :hyper:

:bassist:

10. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    You don't need to tune your bass ADGC to play "More Love" It can be played on a standard tuning bass.