Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning B to D??~??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Impulsee, Apr 18, 2003.

1. I was thinking the other day about a friend who was messing around with tunings and tuned all his strings really high and it hurt his neck. I was just wondering If on a 5 string, tuning the B would hur the neck or be a good idea??~?? anyone else do it??~??

- w00t

2. You can tune the B but you'd most likely need to adjust the truss rod for correct relief and tension and adjust your saddle height. Basically a setup routine.

:D:D

Merls

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    yah, you would need to tighten the truss rod, but even then, there is so much tension that something may warp.....never heard of anything happeneing to anyone before, but ya never know. Also wouldn't it hurt the strings more? those were meant to be tuned standard....so I'd think all the strings would break, thereby releasing all the tension, and the neck bowing back in insane amounts...

I dunno.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    B to drop D? It'll be higher tension. E down two steps to C is just slightly higher tension than a B string tuned to pitch. I found this out tuning a BEAD bass to CFBbEb. So D would be even higher tension than that, so yeah, a truss rod adjust is more than likely going to be nessicary.

I'd only do it if you knew you were going to keep the bass like that for a long time.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you're tuning the string in the low-B position (or all of the strings) up a step-and-a-half to -D- etc., then I think the best thing to do is to use lighter gauge strings. I would try something like a .110 gauge string for your "B-position" tuned to -D-.

6. maby i should just lower my E LOL. but hey...lets say i had 2 basses. keep one regular BEADG. but with the other one, what if i took off the B, replaced teh B string with another E-string, and then lower that one to D. or maby just give it up and just live with it. But would the 2 e-string thing work??~??