1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuning BDAD (for metal)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A few years ago I played with a metal band with two guitarists who tuned to drop D. I reluctantly dropped the E on my Precision to D, feeling that it was kind of a cheap solution, and I eventually got used to having a floppy string and a different note configuration in my fretboard. I play with my fingers -- no interest in picks.

So last night, I was playing along with the demo we had recorded and I whipped out a newer bass that I had strung BEAD. It was different, and the tuning purist in me felt more satisfied.

However, after about an hour, I dropped the E down to B again in order to hit some chords that I had written originally in drop-D. What I found was that I now had the ability to use D's on TWO strings which opened up HUGE possibilities for right-hand rhythm as well as giving me the option to use double-D drones for extra-heaviness. I have never been into alternative turnings, but if we can get this band back together, I am going to be using BDAD for sure. Anyone else ever tried this?

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    A million years ago when I was just messing around learning some Dream Theater stuff I tuned my bass like that. Wicked floppy with normal gauge strings for sure!

I believe some companies make some super fat string sets for lower tunings on the ol' 4 string. But I'm sure other people here have a lot more experience and knowledge than I do about that.

Good luck!