Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Confusion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 8, 2004.

1. i apologize if this may be in the wrong area. (1st off keep in mind that I have no clue, i just bought my 1st bass and amp and all))i bought this little fender Chromatic tuner im lost about tuning even with the little bit of instructions they give. can anyone point me in the right direction on how to tune properly? and if i should invest in a better tuner? id greatly appreciate this

2. You should have two modes, an automatic mode and a manual mode. Refer to your documentation to figure out how to change between the two. In the manual mode, you'll choose a note and the tuner will tell you how close you are to it. In auto mode, the tuner will tell you which note you are closest to, and how close you are to it. You want to tune your strings to the notes E, A, D, and G, from thickest to thinnest. Getting them in the right octave can be hard, but you should be near the right notes already.

3. do i have to tune for the sharps and flats too? or just the open strings?

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

if you have 4 strings...
    tune the biggest/thickest string to E (open string)
    tune the next one to A (open string)
    tune the next one to D (open string)
    tune the smallest/thinnest one to G (open string)

make sure u tune it to the correct octave, if you think your string is toooooooo tight or toooo loose, then you are an octave too high or an octave too low. (i dont even think its possible to tune a string an octave too high without it snapping)

5. Please put your posts in only one section. That means less work you have to do to check for replies, and less clutter for everyone.

You only want to tune the open strings. All the fretted notes should be in tune then. If they aren't, then your bass needs its intonation fixed, which is a job for someone with a little more experience.

6. Ultimo_Dragon21

Ultimo_Dragon21

Apr 29, 2004
    OR... If you'd like a way to train your ear as you tune...
    1.) Tune your E string (again, the thickest one) using the automatic tuner.

2.)Press the E string down on the 5th fret (The 5th one from the headstock, where the 2nd dot is)

3.) Pluck the E string and the A string (The next adjacent string). You should hear a "wavy" sound coming from your amp. Tune the A string until the wave disappears. If the wave gets faster, you're going the wrong way.

4.) Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the remaining strings.

This is more complicated at first, but with practice it becomes downright simple, and much more convenient than relying on an auto tuner, especially if you can tune the E string by ear.

7. Andrew_Pouska

Andrew_Pouska

Jul 27, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I recently created a cool (and free) java-based bass tuning website - www.tunemybass.com.

There's a lesson on how to tune your bass by ear. That's a very important skill to learn. What if your tuner battery goes dead, or you need to tune to an out-of-tune piano or something?

Let me know what you think of the site. I know there is a problem with people on Macs getting it to work (still haven't figured out why).

Good luck!