Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning DGDG

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Aug 20, 2005.

1. I dont know if this is in the right forum or not, but I have (most likely along with others) discovered a bass tuning of DGDG. What are your opinions on this tuning for punk/post hardcore/emo music. how would this compliment a drop d guitar? Whats the difference in tone and is it a good idea?

Thanks
    Paw

2. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    personally, i prefer DGCF for downtuning, but i think i'm a minortiy there. it does change the tone a bit, and i've played some basses that this tuning really compliments

SandCBass and Thomas Kievit like this.
  3. OrderingEntropy

OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    Well, when i tune down, it's either to DADG, or to CGCF. The latter of the two makes for some interesting tonal differences.

4. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    i like this tuning simply because my favorite bass sound on earth and something i try to put into ever song (which 95% of it doesnt work for) are octave slides. on a regularly tuned guitar just place your finger on a certain note (G for example) on the E string and then two frets higher on the D string (so 3rd fret on E, 5th on D) and pluck both notes at the same time and slide your fingers up to another note perhaps in the same major scale or what have you
    so i think this tuning would probably work very well for this but it is not much of a punk-emo-etc technique but it is fun. Listen to 7 and 7 is by a 60's band named love to here a great example of this.

5. mwig

mwig

Aug 6, 2005
    fresno, ca
    thats an odd tuning usually dropped tuning is DAGC. My recommendation is to learn how to play a five string. It makes drop tunig obsolete and give you a lot more positions to play from.

6. Xanderzb

Xanderzb

Dec 29, 2014
    Balloonland the band
    I love DGdg !! I just tuned an upright to this last night, and I prefer it immensely over more standard tunings.

I also love ADad on my 4-string electric, which I strung with the bottom four strings from a five-string flatwound pack. I had to modify the nut and the bridge a bit, and fine tune the scale length. But it was absolutely worth it.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    DGCF for me as well :) I like it this way a lot! And of course ADGCF on a 5 string bass.

SandCBass likes this.
  8. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I use DGDG occasionally in my band. The songs I use them on the guitar player is in DADGAD tuning capoed on the fifth fret making GDGCDG for him. I like DGDG better than capo in drop D. The octave slides on fretless are pretty sweet too. I also recommend trying DADA tuning.

9. Nesch

Nesch

Jul 20, 2014
    I actually do something very similar for my band. On a six string bass, I am tuned G#D#G#D#G#C#. Quite an odd tuning as well but the guitarists play 8 strings tuned to like, drop Eb (I think) so it works well for me. There are some neat tapping runs I can do up the fret board in this tuning :)

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  10. This.

Stop being weird.