1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tuning Down Issue for Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by P.Niggz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Hey Everyone,

I just posted a bulletin in the amp section regarding this tuning down issue, so if you think you could help there then take a look for me :)

My main problem here is my bands tuning down to drop C now. We usually play in Drop Csharp and I tune to a low Gsharp using my B string.

I'm thinking now though that if I tune down anymore, its just gonna flap about like a fish on the deck. So... I was thinking of buying a low Fsharp string and then tuning up a semitone to G, but will that cause too much tension, I don't want my neck bending obviously... must admit i'm bloody worried about the whole thing... guitarists... bah!!

Anyone point me in the right direction?

- Paul
    x

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Tuning an F# up to G won't be a problem if it's a .175. If it were G#/Ab I'd almost consider using a .145 instead.

3. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    The low F# string is .165 I think... I'm just going by http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html. I'm not sure of any other stores that do extended range basses.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'd recommend instead the Warwick Dark Lord .175 for now. Bought mine on eBay.

5. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    Thanks for that man, big help... I'm probably gonna order a set and then take my bass to my guitar tech to sort it out. I'm just wondering whats the tone like with those strings? I prefer a rather low end sound than a clicky high end, although I think maybe brighter strings may benefit me as my amp gives out shed loads of low end anyways haha... its such a confusing thing is this bass guitar milarky :)