Tuning down on 4-strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cyklone777, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Does anybody else do this? I have an Ibanez EDB600 Ergodyne, tuned B-E-A-D. I'm in a hardcore band and our guitarist uses a 7-string, but he's a big guy...I'm normal-sized myself and I find that the 4 tuned down is WAY easier to play, plus all our riffs are on the low strings so there's no need for high strings. I used to play a Fender Jazz 5-string, and that sucked bigtime. I haven't set it up or anything, I just filed the nut so the thicker strings will fit...I was just wondering if it would cause long-term damage to the neck and such cuz I didn't have it set up. I was thinking no because the low tuning compensates with the heavy strings...
  2. It shouldn't cause damage but it wouldn't hurt to have a repair man make some adjustments.I tend to tune down to D-G-C-F,with a drop C.I noticed my StingRay sounds out of tune at times.I didn't change my gage(I probably need to).As soon as I can afford it I'll take it in to be tweeked.Whenever you make changes in tuning and gage,you'll have to get it set up to compensate.I'm sure there is more to the science of adjustment but I'm not a certified luthier.I hope I was helpful.
  3. Yeah cuz my gauges go 60-80-100-125. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt it at all because it's tuned low, and the fat strings wouldn't be putting any more tension on the neck than it would be if it were in standard.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I used to tune down to B my old norma violin bass. That was cool. I used it for a long time and never had a problem.
  5. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i used to tune my four string all crazy, i'd tune my e srting down to A, and the rest were regular, so, AADG. i should do that again for old times sake.
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    I have my bass tuned ADGC(as in 1 step lower than the Low B one) :) I have some crazy strings on this baby! It has a 0.145 B string (D'Addario strings), 0.125 E string, 0.95 A string and 0.75 D string! ^_____^ it sounds nice to meee.. since the B is tuned down a step, and me having a 34" scale bass.. i had to get a bigger string to make it tight, but the bass sounds soo nice

7. lol A-A-D-G, thats great. Whyd you do that? who not tune all of the strings down?
  8. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i liked to play earache my eye alot, but i didn't have a b string to tune down to a. but i noticed it made a cool sound when you would slide so i played jazz stuff on my other 3 and did some crazy slides with the super low guy.
  9. <b>For 4-string "D" tuning (one whole step lower):</b> Labella has a set in their "Hard Rockin' Steel" series that's gauged for D-G-C-F tuning, the M70 set. Personally, I don't care for the sound, somewhat stuffy compared to the free-and-easy sound of the normally-tuned M45 set, but if you are tuning down one step and you want more meat--it sounds like it's got more low mids--you might want to give it a shot.
  10. I was thinking of getting a Schecter Scorpion, since they're tuned to B already, with a 35" scale. Those are probably kickass.