Tuning down to B on a 4-String

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mondo, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    I am playing a four string bass right now and my band tunes four steps down to B,E,A,D the top four of a five string. what is the best way to go about this where my strings do not feel loose?? I am buying a new bass in two weeks and I am wanting to know if i should just buy a 5-string bass?? I feel better on a 4-string i groove alot more, but who knows after playing a five for a few months a may just rock that too?? I need help!! All help is welcome!! Thanks!!

Mondo :confused:
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Get a five string. If you tune down a fourth, the strings are gonna be looser than Madonna's....uh...

Just get a 5 string, okay?
  3. LOL! Chris that was a good 'un!
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    While I agree with Chris that springing for the 5er make more sense, there is another option.

Get a set of 5 string strings (wow...alliteration!), discard the G string (or donate it to your favorite stripper...), and just use the bottom 4 strings. You will have to have the bass set up for this adventure: The nut will have to be reslotted for the larger gauge strings, the neck will have to be readjusted for the different tension on it, and the bridge would have to be reset for intonation. A pain to be sure, but doable. You CANNOT just tune down your standard 4 string set, it just won't work, the strings are too small of a guage to be tuned that low and be playable. They'll just flop around and buzz.

So, I'd just get a 5 :D.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I did just that with one of my "disposable" Ibanez's until I pick the right 5er.