Tuning down two full steps to C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nerdcore, May 29, 2002.

1. nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    Hello all,
    The band I'm currently in tunes down two full steps to C. Is there anything I need to keep an eye on as I tune my bass down to C also? Surprisingly, the strings don't clack around as much as I thought.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, are you CGCG? CFBE? Are you playing on a BEAD bass? What's the scoop?

I played on a BEAD bass, tuned to CGCG, but didn't like the B string tuned to C...felt funny. So I tuned it GCGC, which is a lot better feeling, IMHO.

First, make sure you use a heavy gauge of string. They have better tension when tuned lower. Also, make sure that after a day goes by, adjust the truss rod if needed. I found I had to raise the saddles a bit to keep the clack down, but other than that, I've never had any problems.

It also bears mention that you'll have to adjust your technique to accomodate the more mobile strings. Takes about a half hour to get down pat, maybe more. If you use the same technique, you'll clack like a mofo. Because of this, I'd move my hand/fingers closer to the bridge, it makes the strings even more manageable.

Other than that, don't let people give you crap for tuning lower. I tune ADGCF on my 5er and GCGC on my 4 (that's BEAD down two steps)...
  3. Wouldn't you be better getting a 5 string, and benefitting from the extra flexibility that it gives you??? I've not got anything with tuning down, it works well enough, I just now prefer the feel and felxibility of a five stringer!!!
  4. I sudjest you switch to a different band that doesn't have ****ed up tuning! J/K:D What ever happened to the old four stringer tuned EADG eh?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Much like single ply toilet paper, it it obsolete. ;):D
  6. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Reintonate it. But then again, you are already doing that whenever you change strings, right? ;)
  7. i dont think you have to reintonate when you drop tune..

i have a 5er and when i drop tune adgcf my intonation stays the same... even when i retune its the same......... could just be my bass though...
    (my thoughts on the subject)
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I always thought that you should intonate to what you are tuned to (for example, if you tune E, A, D, G, you want to intonate while tuned to E, A, D and G. If you tune to G, C, G, C, you don't want to intonate to E, A, D and G and then tune down). I usually tune flat, so I set my intonation while I am tuned flat. I know that if I do drop tune, or tune to standard, my intonation will probably be off. Am I wrong here?
  9. i dont know but mine always seems right on.. even on my old bently... it it was off it would be by less than 1 cent

my knowledge so far...