Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning down

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Jan 3, 2003.

1. There is this songwhere i have to tune down 1 1/2 steps but when i do so the string that is useually A is still 1/2 a step to high, eventhough i tuned it down 1 1/2 steps.
    does that make any sence? i it normal? is it coz I have a Ibanez GSR200? or am i just to stupid to tune my bass?

THX
    SCODI

2. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    this doesnt seem to make sense, you tuned it down 1 1/2 steps, yet it is still 1/2 too high? Doesnt that mean you only tuned it down one step?

BTW, wrong forum

3. No, according to my tuner and to my ear(3 steps down) its tuned down as i said. But if i were to play anywhere on the fretboard its wrong.

4. dude, what is going on? tuning down 1 1/2 steps would leave you with:
    C# (E) <---low
    F# (A)
    B (D)
    E (G) <---high

what are you ending up with?!
    what song are you trying to play and il see if i can tell you where you're going wrong! it might be that only the E is dropped 1 1/2 steps and the rest are just dropped a 1/2 step, this is often used, but let me know and il see what i can do!

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As long as you tune your low E down 1 1/2 steps, all you need to do is use harmonics to tune the rest of your highter strings. Not only is this a good way to become more familiar with your instrument, but is also a better way to tune your bass so that it is in tune with itself. Though it might not make much sense, even by tuning each string individually, based on how your bass is set up and reacts, your bass may not be entirely in tune with itself. The best way to do this is to go off of harmonics. Tuning is not an exact science and is an eternal compromise both across strings and within each string up and down the neck. Nevertheless, if you're tuning down 1 1/2 steps for each string, each string should be detuned respectively.

6. The song i was playing was acctually "dropped D" +1/2 it's "Heart shaped Box" by Nirvana. I just have to tune the A sting down another half a step but i don't think i should have to. I thought what jpj said about "it having to be intune with itsself" was right.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    well partof that problem is the bass player you r trying to play didnt know how to tune his bass! hehehe Just kidding guys!

8. The problem isn't the song. It just didn't / duzn't make sence to me why its like that.

9. tunning for heart shaped box should be 1 1/2 steps for the E-string and 1/2 a step for A,D, and G. Or in other words Drop D-tunning,down 1/2 step.

so your tunning would be D flat,A flat,D flat,G flat.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    It was really just a joke!

11. "Drop D-tunning,down 1/2 step."

Thats what I said