Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning drop B

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sammie09, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005
    How do you do it?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Drop B?

You could drop the E to a B, which results in an extremely floppy string, or you can restring your bass (presuming you play a 4 string) to B E A D (thus leaving off the high G), or you could buy a 5 string.

3. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005
    I'm trying to get the right tuning for a song by Chevelle. The tuning is B F#B E...could you tell me how to get this?

4. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    buy a tuner and loosen the strings :eyebrow:

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've googled it, and the bassist is playing a 4 string Sub. My guess is he has strung his bass with a low B, and tuned the other strings (E, A and D) one step up.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why not just buy a 5 string, and learn the song in standard tunings. Tuning with fancy pantsy awkward tunings really doesn't help with anything.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :eek: I hope Michael Manring isn't listening...

Joe

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Michael Manring can kiss my.. wait a second! I should be doing the kissing! Michael has an excuse to use awkward tunings.... He knows how to handle the fish.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY

:eek:
    Dude, you are going to have to explain the "handle the fish" comment!

Joe

10. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Haha this got out of control!

I just tune down and deal with it being floppy. I don't want to restring just to play a couple songs, and I don't have a 5 stringer. It's floppy, but playable. If you're actually gigging, you might want to borrow someone's bass or something, though.

11. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i no this is drifting off a bit, but is eminence front in drop b?

12. usiel

usiel

Mar 28, 2003
    you can also try using the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set so you are using 125-105-85-65. That helps with the string tension...might have to adjust the truss rod/saddle height a bit.

13. Although I don't play a 5-string (1 standard tuned 4-string and 1 BEAD 4-string) I agree with this.
    If you're going to play a lot of covers, find a way to tune between the lowest and highest notes you need and learn the songs in that tuning. It'll keep you from going crazy between songs trying to tune.
    That's the way I would do it.
    Manring's playing his own stuff, so he can tune however he wants.