1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tuning EQ to get tight slap tone

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by infinitemellon, Aug 18, 2007.

1. infinitemellon

infinitemellon

Sep 3, 2006
    Hi fellas, just wondering if anyone knows what to tune on my amp's EQ to get a tight slap tone? Or is there like a guideline to go about gettin a tight tone?

2. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    nice slap tones usually involve cutting out some mids, but that doesn't work to perfection in a loud band setting.

3. In my experience, the result of slapping your thumb against a string and subsequently popping another is a drastic drop in low and low mid frequencies. While I have had success with a mid scoop type eq it doesn't lend itself well to any other playing style for me.

I would suggest a boost in the low's, not a ton, but a touch and low mids if you have them. Roll back the mid or high mid a touch or two and run the highs flat. The natural result of the technique will brighten the sound enough as not to need a high boost.

Best of luck

zilla

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Using EQ for certain techniques is problematic. EQ really should be used to compensate for room deficiencies. What if you want to go between slap and fingerstyle, back and forth? Clean up your techniqe, rather than relying on gear. It takes time, but the results are far superior.

Good luck.

5. While I do agree and have to admit I rarely change my amp settings aside for when I sound check the room for a gig, I have found times that I have used the electronics on my bass to compensate for the deficiencies in my sound due to certain technique. I will admit I am a fingerstyle player first and foremost, I do venture into slap a bit, and have decent (not perfect by any stretch) technique. I still find that no matter how I strike a string in slap tech I lose bottom end and thus need to use the eq to tighten things up. Isn't that why some basses come with a 'Slap contour' switch?

6. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    The first time I slapped a Lakland I felt like the heavens had opened up and G*d had handed the thing to me. I do scoop out some mids on the bass's 3 band, which is what a slap switch does. With my MM5 I always have to toy with it a little to get the sound I want, especially in the studio. So, the bass has more to do with it than eq, imo.

Don't eq your amp unless it just sounds like poo. If you have good amps and basses, you should be able to leave everything pretty flat most of the time.

A couple things- when you cut mids, you'll have to increase overall volume, as you have effectively lowered 1/3 of your sound. If you are losing low end, you just aren't hitting the string hard enough. The right gear and the right technique will go a loooong way.