Tuning flat?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, May 22, 2002.

1. If this is in the wrong area, sorry in advance. Green Day's bassist, Mike Dirnt, throughout most of the songs they play, his bass is tuned flat. I was wondering the correct way to do this. I do have a digital tuner so I wouldn't think it would be too hard. Just need a little more help I guess.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Tune down 1/2 step. In other words: Eb, Ab, Db, Gb.
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Tune your E string(lowest, thickest) to Eb/D#
    Tune your A string to Ab/G#
    Tune your D string to Db/C#
    Tune your G string to Gb/A#
    That is flat tuning!
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Can't tune "flat" with a tuner unless it is chromatic.

So if you don't have a chromatic tuner.... well, I take it you're a newbie so I will insult your intelligence with a lenghty (but simple) explanation. First tune to standard pitch, E A D G (using your tuner). Then retune your A string so that it sounds like the 4th fret on the E string (Ab). Then tune the D string so that it sounds like the 5th fret on the A string and tune the G string so that it sounds like the 5th fret on the D string. Finally, tune the E string so that its 5th fret sounds like the open A string.

Voíla, Eb Ab Db Gb! :)
  5. Sorry, forgot to mention I do have a chromatic tuner. But this way looks easy too so thanks.