Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Flat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rush1988, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Every once in a while

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Not on all of my basses but some or one

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    I was just wondering if you ever tune flat, because a lot of bassists do like Mike Dirnt and Gene Simmons.

2. Sometimes (Whenever the guitarist refuses to tune up to normal tuning :rolleyes: )

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, i do it to get a little bit more heaviness out of the bass, and its tighter and better than going all the way down to a D tuned bass.

4. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    But never again. I never seen the point of it really, I even posted about alternate tunings once. Actually if I ever started into a band I might, or if I got a new bass. But I only have one right now, and I'll keep it in standard.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i usually just keep it at EADG....sumtimes i might drop it down to DADG...i remember one time...i dropped it all the way down to BADG....that was wierd

bp13

6. I don't use it regulary. If a the guitars are tuned flat i tune all strings a whole step just tu reach the obligatory octave lower than the guitarist's 6th string. I know that tuning all strings a whole step is a problem when guitarists tune their guitars back to standard, but when they do, i always stay lower.

The reason I don't tune it flat for jamming or playting in a band is that is not easy for me to improvise as I'm used to, but some times, when I'm trying to come up with something different and get stuck, I tune flat or some other way to get different grooves to what I'm used to play. I sometimes just can't figure out a nice groove in standard tuning, that's because I tend to play around with the sames scales. If an interest tune shows up on a weird tuning, I re-tune in fourths and look for that tune I came up with.

7. Excuse me, but what is tuning flat?

8. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Eb Ab Db Gb four string bass tuned flat.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play in standard tuning. With a 5(or more) string there is no reason to detune.

10. If I'm not wrong it is tuning your lowest string one step lower like guitarist do to play power chords using only one finger..

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Uh, that's dropped D.

12. Unless you have a high C string instead of a low B on your 5.

13. embellisher

If I need a high C, I grab one of my sixes.

14. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i must be nice to say that if you need a high C, you grab ONE or your sixes...

bp13

15. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    If I need a high C...I'm screwed because I have no money.

16. Oops! i Tought dropped D and dropped A were also tuning flat.. I got it wrong but it seems to me that some one did it before.

17. Just get really thin strings and tune up!

18. embellisher

When you have been playing for 24 years, you will have more equipment too.

19. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats if im not really poor by then:rolleyes:

bp13

20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Fretless, especially silly low action/light string fretless, is VERY susceptible to action changes when changing tunings. I played fretless 6-string for a year with a 2-guitar acoustic group who detuned 1/2 step. Tried detuning myself and it just clattered like a loose flagpole chain. So I left my bass in standard tuning, and just learned all of the songs in Eb and Db and Gb and even Cb. Got my reading chops up, that's for sure. Didn't play an open string that whole year... except one song where they capoed to 1st fret. Go figure.