1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Flat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rush1988, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Every once in a while

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Not on all of my basses but some or one

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The only reason I would detune is to play with a record of a band that detunes. Even then though I don't bother unless I need a low Eb.

2. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Not with a five string.

3. Matt Sanchez

Matt Sanchez

Jun 25, 2002
    Florida
    The only times that I've tuned down a half step - were when I played Top 40 bands. The reason why we tuned down was to make songs easier on the singer's voice.

Bass Regards,
    Matt Sanchez

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    If I need a high C I grab one from the fridge.

I always tune a half step down. It just gives the strings different tonal properties and makes everything just seem to sound better.

5. i love playing in various altered tunings. i have three basses in standard tuning, and they are the ones i use for all of my sessions. as for the bass i use the most, with my current band, it is tuned c g c f(down one step, then dropped d). my headless is tuned as a tenor bass(a d g c). i now play noting but 4 strings, and at one time, i had one tuned b e a d. and a use really light strings with really low action. .040-.095 in standard, .045-.100 in dropped c, .025-.080 for tenor, .060-.115 for b e a d. with the really low tuned basses, i am playing in heavy bands, and i find it gives me a heavier tone-more growl. with the standard tuned ones, it gives me more punch.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When I need a high C I reach for the fifth fret of my G string.

Man you know how anoying it is for me to play with my guitarist that drop to D when I play my four string?

Man I hate having to go to the fifth fret of my A string or having to play an open D string. Its so hard to get those notes sometimes.

Seriously, I think half the time everyone tunes down, theyre just limiting them selves or giving themselves a crutch by staying in that range the whole time.

Who says that you have to play your lowest D just because the guitarist in playing his lowest D?

Ive met too many guitarist who depend on drop D tunning, and alot of bassist who through jamming with these guitarist have come to depend on drop D tunning as well.

I will admit that I use my 5th string on my five string for the low D and lower notes, but only as I would use any other notes in the full range on my bass.

Just my $0.02.

Peace
    Nick

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I did this (tuned down a semitone) for the first time since I started playing bass along with GnR & Metallica 5 years ago. I had a jam with some metallish guitarists and it made sense to do the same as them to make doubling riffs easier. I was pleasantly surprised that my bass didn't appear to be bothered by it, and just sounded a little deeper and growlier - I can see why Warwicks are so popular for nu-metal!

I don't see myself doing it again because I'm rather bored of doing the trad hard rock thang and am working on more unusual material on my own. I guess my next live project will either be faking my way into a jazz band or fronting my own originals project.

Alex