Tuning for Hip-hop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Just want to get a communal consensus as to tunings used for playing for hip-hop, and rap.

Keep in mind I play four-stringers.

Is B E A D the way to go?
  2. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    dude i play some hip hop with my friends and you will never need a B. in my opinion i want all bottom with play rap and no defintion. also an envelope filter with the sensitivity turned all the way up boosts your bottom like woh. stick with standard.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    B E A D could work, but standard would probably get the job done for alot of stuff too. From what i hear, hip hop is more about catching the groove and keeping it fresh than it is about tunings.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "only if you're not wearing a G-string"
  5. Hmm.

Any suggestions as to a specific env. filter?
  6. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    The dod fx25b is good because it is so hard to get it to open anyway!! :) and it's cheap.

pino has been doing all his r&b stuff with d'angelo etc with his p bass strung DGCF and he also has his moon jazz tuned C#F#BE i think...

thats a it different to rap though
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    seriously? hip hop use a live instruments? :D
  8. Thanks for the suggestion on the dod fx, I'm going to try and check it out.
  9. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    funny he said that, because i use a dod too. and yeah your right, you gotta dig in to get it to "open" so it's good for just a bottom booster.