Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Headlesse??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alx564, Jan 19, 2001.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering how you tune the headless basses like the Steinberger basses. I know they use double ended strings and I know they hold the tuning for a long time, but I have no idea how they tune them.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The tuning mechanism is part of the bridge assembly, they have a knurled knob kind of like machined volume and tone knobs.

I remember that the original Steinberger claimed a tuning ratio of 40:1, almost like a fine tuner, but I don't know if this is correct, they get up to tension much quicker than I would expect a ratio that high to.

The are very stable once you get them in tune, although the genuine Steinberger bridge is generally more stable then the licensed copies or the knockoffs.

A few of other bassbuilders have their own version of this setup(Kubicki, Status, etc) but I don't know how similar these are to the Steinbergers.

3. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    When you say the tuners are part of the bridge do you mean like on a double bass or are they just by it.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't understand the question about a double bass, the tuners are on the ┬┐headstock?(the part with the scroll on an upright).

[​IMG]

The tuners are the knobs sticking out the butt end of the bridge. The are part of the same assembly, although they have parts that are separate internally from the bridge saddles.

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Oh sorry about that. I thought the double bass had fine tuners on the bridge like a violin. I play the violin. Thanks for the help though.