1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuning in 7ths?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fish man, Apr 1, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm. What if I were to tune my Precision to the bold letters (with standard tuning in italics) A B C D E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E? (That would be with the A 2 steps lower than a standard low B) What kind of gauge would I be looking for for the higher strings, and would there be any neck tension issues with having big force on one side and low force on the other? So far the idea seems almost crazy ehough to be sweet. Huge range on a narrow neck. I need some opinions first though.

thx

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Hope you have big hands. And 5 more fingers.

3. you will want to use the lightest strings possible as well - think about how much tension those top strings would be putting on the neck.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
  5. +1

Your fingerings are going to be wider and more confusing than Rosie O Donnell. Good luck with that.

6. I'd go for fifths mabey like violins

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Not to mention that if you want to follow through with your intervals the top string would be Eb - if you don't understand this you are gonna have a hella time trying to translate basslines that were designed around fourths tuning to flatted/dom seventh tuning.

8. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    right right right. duh. i totally knew that, i swear.

so yes it would be E flat, but the idea wouldn't be to play someone else's bass lines on it, but to do some free-form stuff and improvise and write my own stuff on it. I would keep a 4 string with regular tuning, and use this one for messing around and such. As a bonus it would be a great workout for left hand speed, surely.

9. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Right, thats what I was thinking. But will that be enough? Would I want to use heavier ones for the low strings to maybe ward off twisting, or is that a non-issue?