1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning in EBEA, string suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by blikeng, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi there!

I play a 4/4 Meinel hybrid with spirocores tuned in the regular EADG, but I've been thinking of trying out something else. First of all I really love the Meinel, and I'm a tall guy (192cm), but I feel 4/4 is still too large for my hands, so I thought of buying a 3/4 (or even 5/8) and then tuning this in EBEA ("drop E", hehe) for a new project I'm working on.

1. Anyone ever tried this tuning out themselves? What's your thoughts on this?

2. I quite enjoy the tone and feel of the spirocores, though they are maybe a little bit thight, what kind of strings would you suggest for this tuning with that in mind?

3. I also might want to try to get a bass with a C-extension, or maybe "upgrading" this future bass to have it. Would I need a really fat string for that?

cheers, blikeng ;)

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    id avoid tuning up man, ur E will b fine but the rest r guna be tight, i hafta play in drop Bb and i hate it kuz i gotta tune E-G up half a step. but if you dig it go for it, music is nothing but experimentation anyways

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Try your spiro E with spiro solos for the new tuning. A spiro weich E might be a better balance.

How long is your string length, (in inches please)? That is the key measurement in terms of hand playability, not random bass sizes like 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 4/4...

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Why do you use this tuning and not dropped D. Same thing one whole tone lower (D A, D, G)?

5. GordyGuy

GordyGuy Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Edgar Meyer uses this tuning (last I checked), and I believed his bass is strung: E spiro orch, B spiro solo, E Perm solo, A perm solo

6. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Nope, not fatter, just longer.
    .cdp