1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning issue: bass, string or tuner ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobbadfinger, May 4, 2021 at 11:40 AM.

1. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    I use a TC clip tuner that works perfectly fine/stable on a Precision, but on a Longhorn the open E string is sensed as a "B". The harmonic on 12th fret reads fine as E though.
    Is this some lack of accuracy from the tuner, string fault (Roto flat) or just "nature" of short scales ?

2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Don't know the cause but my snark clip on did the same thing after i put tapewounds on my J.B.

3. I have noticed that on basses with very old strings, but long scale. The harmonic may vibrate the body more on that little bass than the fundamental? Mine's a TC also.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    Bobbadfinger likes this.
  4. So, what does one do when the tuner doesn’t work?:eek:

5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    buy a peterson

ajkula66 and the mojo hobo like this.
  6. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I just used my Korg.

7. Bobbadfinger

Bobbadfinger

Jan 23, 2020
    Brazil
    On floor units (Peterson and TC) it just works as expected.

Actually the reasoning of the post was to understand the phenomena, not really looking for suggestions on how to tune (as noted, harmonic do it just fine).

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021