Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jimi_harr, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Hi.
    I am posting as i have a problem with my Mike Dirnt signature P bass. I have realised that when i tune it with an electronic tuner i can get the open strings to be accurately tuned. However when i play the twelfth fret note on each of these strings then the note is sharp. I am not pressing any harder than needs to be played. I have checked the fretboard for bending but there isnt any significantly. Can anyone offer any advice as to if i should get it looked at by a music shop? And how much it might cost to get it set up? From playing guitar in the past i have noticed that this can happen with instruments depending on the time of year. I keep my bass in a hard case so heat, or damp are not the cause of this.
    Any help you coudl offer woud be highly appreciated.

2. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    My guess is that your bass needs to be intonated. A repuatble music shop would be able to do a wonderful job, but it can be done by mortals as well. I'm sure there's someone out there that can give a better description of how to do it than I can.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    +1

It is easy enough to do - check the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum - it's called "ALL TRUSSROD AND ACTION QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE " - there are two links inside - click the link for the Gary Willis site, then on the Gary Willis site click the bottom link labeled "The Intonation" and you'll see a clear, easy to follow procedure for fixing your problem. If you you're not up for DIY with this, a guitar tech will charge you about $50 for a set up which will include fixing the intonation. Good luck.

4. This is exactly the definition of incorrect intonation, as noted.

It is fairly simple to fix on most all basses, but it can take a little time to get right. If you uncomfortable with a screwdriver or with working on your bass, you can pay to have it done.

Humidity, weather, passage of time, different strings - all these factors can cause the intonation to change over time, and eventually, the bass sounds out of tune on fretted notes.