1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tuning issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by le-gasp, Mar 9, 2008.

1. le-gasp

le-gasp

May 5, 2007
    Hi,

last thursday i changed my strings (first set of flatwounds, sound great) and so far so good, but when i adjusted the height of the string saddles i decided to check the tuning because it sounded off, once i got them back in tune, i checked the tuning at the 12th fret and all were sharp (noticeably so), the ones that had there saddles adjusted the most were the most significant, how do i fix this/prevent this?

also on the subject of adjustment, my g-string saddle needs adjustment often because it always ends up really low, i dont know why this is

Thanks,
    Jake

2. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    There is no way to prevent this, it is just part of normal maintenance, ESPECIALLY since you said you went to flatwounds, which will absolutely necessitate a neck, string height and intonation adjustment vs. changing strings with the same type already on there. Even in the case of the same strings, intonation and neck adjust ment need to be checked and adjusted as necessary.

If you G saddle keeps lowering by itself, readjust it and apply a tiny drop of clear nail polish where the screw threads meet the saddle. That should do it.

3. Adjust yer height and intonation (or at least check it) whenever you change what yer using for some other gauge/construction. Might as well search out the massive thread content on "set-up" on the forum, including truss adjustment info, too. You have the height where you like it? Cool, now, set intonation. If the octave is sharp you need to lengthen the string bridge-to-nut. To do this, crank the saddle back toward the bottom of the instrument(usually a clock-wise turn of the saddle screw) till it's right. Good to have a tuner for this step. Are you saying that your G saddle is losing adjustment on it's own? If so, I use a (tiny) bit of blue Loc-Tite on the tops of the stand screws after adjustments are complete. If the screws are loose in their holes, the vibration when playing helps them "ooze" out. Easy stuff if you take yer time. enjoy!
    Josh

4. le-gasp

le-gasp

May 5, 2007
    got it in tune, pretty easy, thanks!

5. le-gasp

le-gasp

May 5, 2007
    i checked it again and the upper register is still out of tune, did the adjustment undo itself, it was fine yesterday

6. Interesting. I don't see how, other than you've got something moving. Is the neck bowing(bending)? I've heard that the saddle adjustment screws can move while playing, but I haven't seen it on mine or other's basses so far. Maybe try setting it up again? Start with the neck, though.
    Josh

7. le-gasp

le-gasp

May 5, 2007
    its bowing a bit

8. Okay, sounds like your new to working on your instrument. It also sounds as though your neck needs adjustment to correct(way)too much(up)bowing. If you want to get into it yourself, I would recommend getting a copy of Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" and study all the material on set-up (there's a ton in it, with lots of pix) before you dive in. It's easy to mess up a good neck if you're unaware of how its supposed to work. If you need to get the instrument together fast, I'd suggest taking in to a pro and study for the NEXT time you want to try it yourself. Around my area I have a very good luthier who only charges $40.00 for a basic set-up. I had him do my first good bass and it was worth EVERY penny. I learned a ton just checking it out after his work. Ask around (here and out where you are) for a pro in your area Meanwhile, search the forum's content on set-up as a start. Do you have any mechanical skills? (This ain't rocket surgery, but skills are a definite plus.) Hoping I'm helping,
    Josh

9. le-gasp

le-gasp

May 5, 2007
    thanks, i think ill look into all those options