Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning issues on Casady and '51 RI bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 6, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i would like to know if the rumors about bad bridge design that afflicts both the Fender Precision '51 RI and the Epiphone Jack Casady are true.

according to these rumors this bad design is the major cause of problems tuning both basses the correct way.

jacksters? anything to say?

and you stingers?

2. Hey Marco, what's up?

I don't know anything about the Fender '51 P-bass reissue, but, as far as the Jack Casady goes, I believe it has a standard Epiphone 3 point bridge. I've played a few different Epis in the last year, and while I'm not 100% certain, I truly think that all the bridges on the basses I played were the same. As far as my Jack Casady goes, it stays in tune very well. It looses about 1/4 of a step of intonation about once a month. I check it with my tuner.

I just went to the Epiphone site. It looks like all the basses have the same bridge as the Jack Casady, except for the Explorer, the Viola and the Accu-Bass Jr.

Check it out: www.epiphone.com

Ciao

Mike :)

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    How are intonation adjustments made on a Casady bridge?

4. It's a real pain in the butt! The length adjusting screws are located in front of the saddles right under the strings. This is one flaw in the bridge's design I can't stand.

What can you do?
    C'est La Vie. ;)

Mike

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

the Jack bass bride has some issues to it. As Mike said the screws are in the front of the bridge and in my expirence they get loose on a regular basis. it is a great sounding bass when you can get all the buzzing out of it. When it comes to intonation you have to tune eacch string by screw keeping them in tune with each other. i hope this Helps. Hi Mike J:)

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Maybe some 'lok tite' (<- I think that's how it's spelled.) might help. I've been considering getting some for my straplocks.

It's supposed to work really well, you just have to be sure to get the low strength stuff. I guess the high strength stuff is so strong that you'll nver turn the screw by hand again.

7. Hey there, Major. Did you fix your Casady last weekend?

Mike

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of the Stings & lot of older Fender basses with that bridge & IME, as soon as you go past the 9th fret, you're out of tune. :( It's just a bad design.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I know nothing about Epiphone anythings, but I know a great deal more than I wish I did about the '51 Fender design.

It is possible to intonate this bridge as well as any other bridge, but it is difficult and time-consuming, involving some bending of the two long adjustment screws anchored to the bridgeplate in order to get the two saddles at the needed angles.

A more difficult problem is that the basses on which these bridges are found are designed for vintage strings and modern, lighter strings usually need more neckward travel on the G to intonate than is provided by the length of the bridgeplate - you may find that the saddle screws have gone off the edge of the plate and into the wood before you get there. There is a way of getting about another 3/16" by putting a different set of bends in the same screw you have to bend for the saddle angle, but explaining the required bends probably requires pictures to convey properly.

In fine, you can get the '51 Precision bridge to do everything as well as any other bridge, but it is a real undertaking.

10. Kinda like my Ric's...bloody awful bridge design (as far as intonation goes) - anything that needs the strings off in order to intonate needs help! :)

11. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I just picked up a NOS Jack Casady Goldtop a week ago for $450 including case and shipping (yes - that makes me a happy boy!)

I'm totally digging the bass but have noted the "interesting" quality of the hardware.

Has anyone swapped out the stock tuners for something like Hipshot Ultralights to improve the balance? Also, to improve the intonation issues, has anyone swapped to an aftermarket bridge, and if so, what kind?

Has anyone had any success finding a good extremely well-padded gig bag for their Casady's or LP's? If so, what would you recommend, approximate price, etc, etc

Finally, what are the favorite choices for strings for the Jack's? I play roots-rock/alt-country/rock-a-billy (still occasionally do the Power-Pop thing). I ordered a set of T-I Powerbass for the JC as these kick ass on my G&L ASAT and I figured even if they don't work out for the JC, I'll just swap 'em out to the ASAT.

Much thanks in advance!

Stephen