Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning Key advice on Fender MM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Jan 12, 2003.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I hope this is the right forum.

I have a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass and I really don't like the tuning keys on it. They feel kind of cheap and I don't really like the "reverse" winding on them (gets difficult for quick tuning since all my other basses have been "forward"), so I am trying to find some good quality replacements that fit directly in all the screw and peg holes and turn in the forward direction for tuning.

Right now I am consider the hipshot HB2 tuners. Are there any other suggestions for direct fit and forward tuning and good quality?

Where is the best place to buy them? I know I can get the hipshots directly from hipshot, but maybe somewhere else has better prices??

-KB

2. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Schaller makes many direct replacement versions for Jazz & Precision basses. Hipshot is another manufacturer of aftermarket tuning gears, bridges, etc. Check out: www.allparts.com

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Does anyone know if the Hipshot HB2 or the Schaller is a direct replacement for the Marcus Miller tuners? The Hipshots appear to be a little cheaper price-wise.

-KB

4. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I know that the Schallers are direct replacement. I'm not sure if the Hipshots are, but I'd think they do make direct replacement models. Check out:
    www.allparts.com