Tuning Key advice on Fender MM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Jan 12, 2003.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I hope this is the right forum.

I have a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass and I really don't like the tuning keys on it. They feel kind of cheap and I don't really like the "reverse" winding on them (gets difficult for quick tuning since all my other basses have been "forward"), so I am trying to find some good quality replacements that fit directly in all the screw and peg holes and turn in the forward direction for tuning.

Right now I am consider the hipshot HB2 tuners. Are there any other suggestions for direct fit and forward tuning and good quality?

Where is the best place to buy them? I know I can get the hipshots directly from hipshot, but maybe somewhere else has better prices??

-KB

2. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Schaller makes many direct replacement versions for Jazz & Precision basses. Hipshot is another manufacturer of aftermarket tuning gears, bridges, etc. Check out: www.allparts.com

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Does anyone know if the Hipshot HB2 or the Schaller is a direct replacement for the Marcus Miller tuners? The Hipshots appear to be a little cheaper price-wise.

-KB

4. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I know that the Schallers are direct replacement. I'm not sure if the Hipshots are, but I'd think they do make direct replacement models. Check out:
    www.allparts.com