Tuning keys upside down.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rogier, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    i'm in the process of building my own bass. Now i'm wondering wether it makes a huge difference if i let the strings run through the headstock to the back and then place the tuning keys upside down. Considering the force (which pulls the headstock back) and the angle the string will make it makes sense, although to me.... nobody does it...but is it worth trying?
  2. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    the headstock is nearly flat, like a fender.....(etc.)
  3. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I would think that it would be a bad idea.

A. Your break angle would be extreme over the nut.

B. You would be weakening the headstock joint.

C. It would be ugly as sin. (opinion)

D. Unless you made all your hole angles perfect, you would be adding extra friction points int he tuning process.

E. Taking old strings off would be a hassle (pulling the curly ends throught he holes
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    I think paintandsk8 definately covered it. Also, assuming you would be using roundwounds, the strings could cut into the nut material making the slots deeper.

Edit: You might want to look into sinking the tuning posts deeper into the headstock. This would give you a better break angle without the need for string trees. Here is a post about doing such.
  5. Rogier

Feb 2, 2004
    Okay, but that is no problem using a sort of zero-fret, is it? And i'll round the nut incisions for better angle support.
    And considering the thrust...i think a carbon reinforced headstock could do the trick (the bass-neck is made of three pieces of maple glued together).
    It's a bit hard to imagine but i'll post an improvised picture here later on.
    Anyway, thanks!
    And my idea was to put the turning keys in the right angle and cover them up with a small piece of laminate.