Tuning LOW

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pelvicfury, Feb 11, 2006.

1. I am going to be filling in for a Death Metal band, and they tune to C standard. I would like to play a 4 string, as my six would not be necesary.

Is there a better way to set up your bass for handeling
    C-F-A#-D# ??

As it stands right now, obviously I have no tension on the strings or neck, things are very "clackity." The notes come through clear enough, but, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to maybe keep my usual tension with the lower tuning.
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Buy a set of heavy gauge strings. For tuning all the way to C, I'd suggest about a .120.
  3. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    +1. I have used my SX P-bass for this tuning. Go with heavier gauge strings and you MAY have to adjust the truss rod a bit.

4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    What the guys above said, plus, maybe you´ll need to send your bass to a pro repairman to fill the string spaces in the nut. Heavy gauge strings don´t fit very well in some basses.
  5. yeah i figured the strings would do it but I was concerned about the nut. Don't know if a B string will fit where the E string goes.
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Don't use a low B string without having the nut worked on. Go with DR Low Riders. They're heavier gauge, but not heavy enough to where you have to have the nut cut.

Either that, or learn the tunes on your 6'er, you just won't need to go as low as the B. That probably would be your cheapest bet.
  7. that's not gonna happen. this stuff is a little too much for the six string. I need the flexability of a 4 string to pull this stuff off in the limited amount of time I have to work with here.

Low riders though, they are already among my top 3 string choices. I'll give them a shot.