Tuning Machine advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Izaiah Montanez, May 28, 2020.

1. Izaiah Montanez

Izaiah Montanez

May 28, 2020
    My Sterling S.U.B Stingray 34’s tuning machine for the A string is having a weird problem that I really have no clue how to fix or what caused it. (NOTE: these are stock exposed gear tuners)

Basically I tried to tune it back up to an A since it had gone flat after not playing it for a while, then I hear a POP. After looking at the tuning machine everything seemed fine and so this time I watched while tuning it up and it seems the gear slips back down a dropping the note down from an F sharp to an E flat. Any explanation as to why this could be?

Razman likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.

Make sure the screw that holds the gears on is tight. Some people think that screw is for adjusting drag. WRONG. That screw only holds the gear on the post, so make sure it is firmly tightened. If it is loose take any tension on the string off before you tighten the screw. Other than that I've got nothing

3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Hi Izaiah, welcome to Talkbass!! Look on the underside of the neck where the tuning gears are. There may be a big Phillips head screw in the center of the gear. Make sure all of those screws (if you have them) are tight. Normally they secure the tuning post to the gear, and the end of the post fits into the gear. If the screws become loose, it can push out beyond the gear and slip.

If the end that fits into the gear is stripped, the tuner must be replaced. Post some pics here if you can, and we can help you find a replacement (Amazon is your friend!) if needed.

Cheers,

Eric

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    The above advice is good. You should also check that the string isn't catching in the nut.

vid1900 likes this.
  5. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Or the string itself could be broken in some way.
    Do you have another set(or string) to replace.

RSBBass likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021