Tuning machine ferrules removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Mar 5, 2021.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hey guys/girls, Is there any "other" way to safely remove the ferrules from the headstock other than a mallot and screwdriver ? those things are in there REALLY tight and I don't wanna ruin my headstock ... like I almost did removing the 1st one. Thanks in advance.

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Sweet Treets. Supporting Member

Appropriate size dowel, and said mallet.

3. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    I've found giving the downward force on the back of the bushing a bit of a circular or side to side motion can help get them started, but yeah the dowel is likely the safest option I'm aware of assuming they're not glued in & there's no finish over their edges.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    If you have a socket wrench, find a socket that just fits inside the hole in the backside of headstock and one that just fits around the bushing on the face side. Use a clamp to squeeze the two sockets together, thus pressing the bushing out.

5. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    20210305_173731.jpg Too late, my Dumb A** already ruined a $400 Warmoth neck being impatient ARRRRRRRRRGH!!! Muth#[email protected]&!!!

6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    That's what I did AFTER I already ruined it, Thanks, I think I can sorta fix it by sanding it down, but Boy am I pissed at myself! Thanks again.

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That’s why I just leave the old ones in.

madjazzbass likes this.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth

9. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I started to do that, but obviously... That's OK, I'll take a couple of grades of sandpaper and get it back looking like new ... I hope :unsure:, it's my Favorite Build too.

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No reason you can’t glue the splintered pieces back down. You’ll barely see the repair if at all when done right.

RSBBass and madjazzbass like this.
  11. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    So far, so good; a little more sanding and there'll be a very "slight" ?concave there, but noone's gonna know unless I tell them or they read this post :laugh:. I'll post pics after it's all finished a sprayed with the poly:thumbsup: ... I'm still mad at myself though. 16149866134398609092968175672851.jpg

StevieMac and /\/\3phist0 like this.