1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Machine Install Questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cessna928, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    I've been searching for hours and, based on my luck in finding a preexisting thread, I am apparently the only person with this question. So here goes nothin'...

With Gotoh/Hipshot/Sperzel tuning machines (the ones with the threaded bushing) is there anything special I need to do to install them?

I bought a set of 4 gotoh (ultra light?) replacement tuners and the only special accommodation I can think of needing to make to install them is to ream out the holes to 9/16". Is that correct? Do I need to put a screw through the single bottom hole in the pickup or is that a set-screw. (A screw that just puts pressure on wood without piercing it)

Please help, there is NO information on this subject and it is driving me INSANE.

2. You are right on with your description of the Bushing install preparations. The litte screw keeps the tuner anchored believe it or not, but you have to pre drill to pilot hole almost the size of the screw including the threads! Just slightly under. I drilled the pilot holes the size of the shaft of the screw, not including the threads and I snapped the head off trying to tighten it. Then I had to remove the broken shaft, man what a job. :eyebrow:

3. Dave Kerr

Dave Kerr

Mar 8, 2009
    My Sperzels have a pin instead of a screw. Pin or screw, I'd strongly recommend making a jig and practicing on some scrap wood. You want precision and repeatability.

4. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    Would you suggest I use a hand drill with a 9/16" bit or a hand reamer? I think I have half inch holes right now.

5. Dave Kerr

Dave Kerr

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm a hobbyist, so take my advice for what it's worth, but I'd fill the 1/2" holes with dowels drill out with the 9/16 bit, and then use the reamer as needed (9/16 is a little too snug, iirc). Second choice would be enlarging the existing hole with a reamer. I wouldn't try enlarging the existing holes with the larger drill bit, especially with a hand drill, you'll have problems getting a clean hole. In any event, try whatever approach you choose on some scrap wood first.

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ou know, 9/16ths isbigger than half inch right, so theres really no need to fill the holes

7. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    Filling the holes is a technique that BP magazine suggests. Its purpose is to give the drill bit somewhere to anchor into when the drilling starts; otherwise the bit may travel at an angle through the wood.

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ah yes, of course, so you dont have to be too picky about the look of the plugs when you put them in. which is nice