Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tuning machine lubrication?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steamboat, Jun 25, 2001.

1. The tuners on both of my basses feel like they could use some lubrication. Would there be anything wrong with applying a little bit of WD-40??

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't see any reason why there'd be a problem, as long as it doesn't get on the string posts or fretboard. WD-40 is about the only product I trust not to get "gunky" with time.

3. What about that very very fine graphite powder that locksmiths use to lubricate intricate locking mechanisms?Just a thought.

4. I'd try using automotive lubracant, anyway, whatever stuff you use make sure you don't use too much or the tuner might not have anymore grip

5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    WD-40 is actually not a lubricant; the WD stands for Water Displacement (it's great for certain things).

I like a Telfon based lube; something thick so it doesn't drip a lot (Triflon, Break-Free CLP, and others).