1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tuning Machine Popped Out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jrxishh, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jrxishh

Jrxishh

Jun 14, 2012
    So my A strings tuning machine popped out while I was playing today. Can I fix it somehow or do I need to get new hardware?

I keep getting an error trying to upload an image (Sorry, I'm new to the forum) so I uploaded it here: http://imgur.com/05w98

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    05w98.jpg

3. if you can carefully take the little metal disk on the back on the tuner off, you can fix it, but if you cant without causing further damage, your gonna need new keys.

4. Jrxishh

Jrxishh

Jun 14, 2012
    I have the metal disk, but it doesn't look like it's going to come out.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You'll likely need a new one. You can get singles, its likely a Gotoh on an Ibby. I hate mini tuners!

6. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass Jrxishh.

If the splined or slotted business end of the shaft looks like it supposed to be -ie. splined or slotted- and the threads on the end of the shaft look all right and there's no broken screw firmly jammed in there, You may be able to salvage the tuner.

Remove the rest of the tuner, and in a vice, carefully drive the worm wheel and the sealing plate off with a very small flat end punch. Try not to destroy the screw, and try to align the punch in such a manner that it contacts only the wheel. Otherwise You'll have a dimple in the sealing plate.

After disassembly, it's just a matter of putting the things back together.

Unfortunately, usually when the shaft detaches itself, either the threads are toast or the splined/slotted portion that goes inside the worm wheel are cut off.

I had the latter happen in my Epi T-Bird, and turning a new post was my solution.

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam

7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California