Tuning Machine Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gilmourisgod, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'm part way through my Ric 4004 clone build, looking for tuners. I used the Ric labeled Schaller's on my Hosenfeffer 4001 clone build, but budget constraints on this one force to me to consider less expensive options. What I'm looking for is elephant-ear 2+2 set of 4 tuners, with a backing plate footprint no bigger than the Schallers. These Gotoh tuners don't look half bad, pretty beefy armatures holding the tuning key. Any oter suggestions in the $50 range? Definitely NOT looking to spend $100 on a set of tuners, which would seem to rule out the very nice Hipshot variants.
    https://www.amazon.com/Gotoh-Large-...=1521747650&sr=8-2&keywords=gotoh+bass+tuners

Here's another one by Grover, no idea what the quality is on these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grover-142C-...1521750879&sr=1-2&keywords=GROVER+BASS+TUNERS

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    i'd go with Grover Titans, myself. similar to wavy Grovers but gettable for $50

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Here's another one, the Stewmac Golden Age adjustable tension 2 + 2 set. I checked the specs, they would fit nicely. I got a bit of kick out of Stemac's pricing strategy. They are listed as $40.75 + $9.99 shipping = $50.74 on the Stewmac website:
    Adjustable Tension Bass Tuner Set | stewmac.com

Stewmac also sells the same tuners on Amazon Prime complete with "Free Shipping", for.... wait for it... $50.74! Free shipping my a**! Pretty convincing proof that the "shipping and handling" is blatant price padding. Sigh....
    https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-A...521837228&sr=8-1&keywords=stewmac+bass+tuners

Thus continues my Love/Hate relationship with Stewmac's "creative" shipping and handling fees. At any rate, they look like decent tuners, by the dimensions a direct knockoff of the Grover tuners, minus the logo. Probably made in the same indonesian factory. Anybody try these out?

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks @sissy kathy , I checked the footprint, it looks like any of the Fender variants are slightly too big at the backplate for a Ric headstock. For all it’s size, the tuners are a bit crammed in there, close to the curved edges. I ended up swallowing my ire over the “free shipping” BS on Amazon and ordering these:
    Adjustable Tension Bass Tuner Set | stewmac.com
    All the reviews seem pretty good, I post my own review here. Thanks, All.

tzohn likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Well, the Stewmac tuners are a bust, the ferrule on the top of the headstock is too wide, it conflicts with the TRC at the D string, and they just extend too far out visually, so back they go. I must have looked at every tuner out there, the combination of narrow tuner post and relatively short tuner elephant ear posts is a tough search. If I cant find anything comparable, might have to suck it up and buy the Ric branded Schallers for $85. Ouch!

7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Well, how about the Hipshot imports; they're available at BSO for about $60

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    @sissy kathy
    Thanks for the tip, but what’s BSO? Got a link? :)

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ha! My google search turned up Boston Symphony Orchestra, not too useful. Yeah, hoping to find some elephant ears with small post ferrules. I looked at Gotoh GB-10’s, which would work, but have really long Fender style posts that look odd on a Ric headstock. Hipshot HB-5’s are perfect, but even more than Ric branded Schallers. Y tuners would work, most 4004 basses have them, but I’m a sucker for old school elephant ears.

11. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Bass Strings Online. Bass Tuning Machines Tuning Keys Posts from BassStringsOnline

12. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Grovers are always a good choice. Check out Wilkinson, too.

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks SK! I’ll check out the specs, the ferrule diameter turns out to be the most crucial piece, the D string ferrule literally touches the TRC in most Rics, so it’s tight! I’ve been drawing various tuners in Autocad to see how they look overlaid onto the model.