Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning machines for my modded SX J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karrot-x, Mar 6, 2006.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have a heavily modded SX J, J-retro pre, Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups, badass II bridge; cute pickguard. Now I need to replace the tuners, what should I go with? I have no idea what is good out there.

I was thinking schallers; I don't necessarily need the drop D from hipshot.

Thanks.

SX = 62MG

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Actually I went there and they only seem to offer Schaller tuners. I know I don't need/want the ultra lights because they wont fit in the neck. Or do I?

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The tuning keys are my SX are just fine. Do you want to replace them because they're a problem or because you want to be able to say you replaced everything? If it's the latter, you might be wasting $50.

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I want to stay in tune longer, seems like after a week I'll get out. Or if I play a show for a long period of time they drop. This doesn't make sense to me because on my Warwick and MusicMan this never happend. I figured the tuners were fine, which is why I'm going to replace them as the last thing.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Eh? My tuners on my SX aren't a problem. They basically lock and stay there; I tune em about once every week...or two :p

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I replaced mine with Mighty Mite tuners from guitarelectronics.com. I had to open up the peg holes sightly, and make new holes for the screws on the back, but they covered all the old holes completely and they work great. They cost about $30 and stay in tune for me just fine. Definately more smooth than the stock ones, but I never did had a problem with the stock tuners falling out of tune.

7. I just want to be sure I understand: you have a bass that you play regularly and you want to change the tuners because it goes out of tune in a week. Is that right? :meh:

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm sure that the man has his reason to replace them. He's asking for suggestions regarding tuner models, not opinions regarding replacing them or not....

Karrot-x, Do you want vintage or gotoh style tuners? Do you ultra-light tuners, or is the weight not that important?

BTW, sounds like a smoking bass. How is the fretwork? Any pictures? :D

9. Cranberry Juice

Cranberry Juice

Mar 1, 2006
    NV
    I'd like to see some pics of it.

10. If you play a bass regularly and you only need to tune it every week, that sounds like pretty good tuning stability to me. Sorry El Bajista, but when somebody asks about making a modification, I don't think it's right to send them down the primrose path when their expectations may not be reasonable. In this case, I would check the nut and make sure the strings aren't binding there. The poor guy has been replacing components and hasn't been successful. I've been playing 40+ years and I could count the number of failed tuners I've experienced on one hand and still have fingers left over. It's his money but there's a good chance the tuners aren't the problem.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I had pics of it, but I lost them awhile ago. I'll take some more soon.

Lonote, I play it about 4 times a week, for a max of three-four hours. Most of the time it just sits in the same humid controlled room. The weirdest part is it usually jumps up in tune, rather then lower. Still looking for suggestions on what would be the optimum tuner to go with.

Vintage or gotoh style tuners would be fine. I'm not sure if I want black or chrome, the bass already weighs a ton so weight isn't that much of an issue.

12. karrot-x

Unless your strings are binding in the nut, the only things that should likely cause your strings to go sharp would be increases in temperature and/or humidity. I can't see tuners making strings go sharp unless something actually touched the tuners. Things slipping flat easily could be a bridge, feurrles or tuner thing but not strings going sharp, IME.

Peace,
    S

13. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Sounds like a nut problem to me.

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ok nuts don't seem to be that expensive. I'll replace the nut at the same time; what should I go with in that area?

15. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I replaced the nut on my SX with an Allparts preslotted Tusq nut. It cost me a whole $6 plus some glue. Others have used Graphtech nuts as well.

I don't think there is that much of a difference between nut materials, as long as it's hard and won't be ground down by the strings. Of course, one would think that a material such as brass might be a bit clanky sounding, but I'm sure it's negligible.

16. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Replacing the nut isn't necessarily the best solution. The nut needs to be slotted well to work right, so it could be the stock nut just needs a touch-up. The new nut will need to be slotted anyway (even a preslotted nut will probably need some work), so I'd take a crack at the old one with some needle files first. Try searching the setup forum for advice.

17. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If I remember right, isnt this your's karrot-x:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had these in my Bass Pics folder. It really is a knockout and I actually think the only SX I have seen with a J-Retro pre. Ya make me jealous. :smug:

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Yup there she is. I really like the feel and tone, I need to get the hissing fixed and the one dead spot. Plus new strings would be nice.

19. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, that is one good looking bass.

I was thinking about an SX fretless project with a Black Jazz w/black PG and maple fretless board, but that bass looks so good I might consider that color combo.....