Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tuning machines

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P RicanWITaBASS, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Hey! Whats up all?!?!?!

Hey listen, I've read about quite a few people not liking Fender Standard Jazz Basses tuning machines??? Wanna give your opinions??? Anything else you don't like about them??? :eyebrow: Thanks! :p

Jayson

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I have two standard jazzes and I see nothing wrong with the tuners. They do just what they are suppose to do...tune the strings! They are well made and smooth, none of mine bind. Changing them is just a waste of money in my opinion.

3. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I agree with ClassicJazz. I've had 2 MIM jazzes and both had the same standard tuners. They work perfectly fine. They might not be "lightweight" or have adjustable tension, but I don't notice the weight and the tension is just fine after the bass is strung up. The only time I would consider changing tuners on any guitar or bass is if they have a problem holding their tuning and the Fender standard tuners do just that. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I think the $80 used to buy new tuners would be best used to bring the bass to a good shop and have the frets polished and leveled if need be (you might not need it). I did that to my MIM Deluxe Active Jazz and it made the neck feel as good as a MIA neck.

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Just stay away from Fenders with the plastic ones (forget the model), as there's no metal ones for a direct replacement without drilling holes.